Top best answers to the question «What family do the spinner dolphin belong to»
What is a spinner dolphin classified as?
- Classification: Mammal. Description. Spinner dolphins are the acrobats of the ocean. They love to jump, flip, and twist above the surface of the water. Spinner dolphins earned their name because of their ability to spin multiple times in one jump.
What is the taxonomy of a spinner dolphin?
- Taxonomy. The spinner dolphin is sometimes referred to as the long-snouted dolphin, particularly in older texts, to distinguish it from the similar Clymene dolphin, which is often called the short-snouted spinner dolphin. The species was described by John Gray in 1828. The four named subspecies are:
Those who are looking for an answer to the question «What family do the spinner dolphin belong to?» often ask the following questions:
🌴 What family does the dolphin family belong to?
Dolphins Answers 1. What family does the dolphin belong to? Tick one. seal otter whale shark 2. Find and copy one word that means keeping warm. Insulating 3. Draw four lines to complete each sentence. 4. Number the events from 1-5 to show the order in which they occur in the Hunting Behaviour section. The first one has been done for you.
- What family do the guiana dolphin belong to?
- What family do the heaviside dolphin belong to?
- What family do the hector's dolphin belong to?
🌴 What family do the chilean dolphin belong to?
The Andean condor is classified under the New World Vulture family, of which there are seven species. The Andean condor is the largest known flying bird in the entire world. They have a wingspan of around 3.3 meters, which is more than the total wingspans of four water birds and seabirds combined. The diet of this bird is mostly comprised of carrions. Therefore, it is classified as a scavenger bird. Due to the dominance of this species in Chile, it has been made a national symbol of this ...
- What family do the peale's dolphin belong to?
- What family do the risso's dolphin belong to?
- What family do the striped dolphin belong to?
🌴 What family do the commerson's dolphin belong to?
The Commerson’s Dolphins These are marine mammals just like whales, belonging to the cetaceans family but to the odontoceti species, meaning they do have teeth. Also they are found exclusively in the south hemisphere and especially on the Patagonia coasts.
- What family does a bottlenose dolphin belong to?
- What family do the atlantic spotted dolphin belong to?
- What family do the la plata dolphin belong to?
2 other answers
Classification: Kingdom: Animalia, Class: Mammalia, Family: Delphinidae Lifespan: 20 to 25 years Diet: Fish and squid; locate prey using echolocation Fun Fact: Spinner dolphins gather in pods that can number into the
They belong to a group of marine mammals called cetaceans. Marine mammals in the cetacean family include whales , dolphins, and porpoises. These animals are often referred to as “sentinels” of ocean health providing insight into marine ecosystem dynamics.
We've handpicked 20 related questions for you, similar to «What family do the spinner dolphin belong to?» so you can surely find the answer!What family do the pantropical spotted dolphin belong to?
The pantropical spotted dolphin now has legal protection throughout much of its range and is the focus of several international conservation efforts. Today, it is the second most numerous species of dolphin behind the common bottlenose dolphin , but its numbers are only about half of what they once were, and more research is needed to determine whether or not tuna fishing still has an impact ...What family does the amazon river dolphin belong to?
Originally, the Amazon river dolphin belonged to the superfamily Platanistoidea, which constituted all river dolphins, making them a paraphyletic group. Today, however, the Amazon river dolphin has been reclassified into the superfamily Inioidea.What kind of family does a dolphin belong to?
- Ocean-dwelling dolphins belong to the Delphinidae family, while the handful of river-dwelling dolphins fall in the remaining three families. Although you would likely be able to recognize all living species as dolphins, each does have its own unique features that set it apart from each other.
Right whale dolphins are cetaceans belonging to the genus Lissodelphis. It contains the northern right whale dolphin and the southern right whale dolphin. These cetaceans are predominantly black, white beneath, and some of the few without a dorsal fin or ridge. They are smaller members of the delphinid family, oceanic dolphins, and very slender.What family do the south asian river dolphin belong to?
First and Last of the South Asian River Dolphins. Although the whales are undeniably spectacular, the majority of cetacean species are much smaller; the sort of animals we generally refer to as "dolphins". The great majority of these belong to the family Dephinidae, variously termed the "oceanic dolphins", "pelagic dolphins", or even "true ...What family do dolphins belong to?
Dolphins belong to the family Delphinidae. There are many differences. Dolphins are related to whales and porpoises; the manatees closest relatives besides the dugong are elephants and hyraxes.What family does wallabies belong to?
Wallaby, any of several middle-sized marsupial mammals belonging to the kangaroo family, Macropodidae (see kangaroo). They are found chiefly in Australia.What animal family do seals belong to?
True seals, on the other hand, are in the family Phocidae. (Walruses are in the family Odobenidae, but their large tusks make them easy to tell apart from seals and sea lions.) Many people refer to mammals in Otariidae and Phocidae as seals, although the differences between the families are important.What family do puffer fish belong to?
Tetraodontidae is a family of primarily marine and estuarine fish of the order Tetraodontiformes. The family includes many familiar species variously called pufferfish, puffers, balloonfish, blowfish, blowies, bubblefish, globefish, swellfish, toadfish, toadies, honey toads, sugar toads, and sea squab.What family do the orca belong to?
This family is represented by about 37 species, including bottlenose dolphins, pilot whales, and false killer whales. The killer whale is the largest member of the dolphin family.What family do the tucuxi belong to?
The tucuxi living in the Amazon consume around 28 species of fish, and within this set, they prefer those that belong to the family Curimatidae, because they represent 52 percent of their total diet. HOW DO THEY BEHAVEWhat family does a porcupine belong to?
- The New World porcupines are in family Erethizontidae and the Old World porcupines are in family Hystricidae. The common name "porcupine" comes from a Latin phrase that means "quill pig."
- Scientists have placed the baiji in the family Platanistidae, the river dolphin family. Four other species of river dolphins also are in this family. They are:
Bandicoots and bilbies belong to the family Peramelidae. The subfamily Peramelinae includes species of Isoodon (short-nosed bandicoots) and Perameles (long-nosed bandicoots).What family does the jerboa belong to?
- It holds membership in the Dipodinae, or "jumping rodents," family, which includes several different genera. The jerboa belongs to one of three genera that include more than two dozen species, more than 20 of them in Asia.
- All four genera are part of the biological family Callitrichidae. The term "marmoset" is also used in reference to Goeldi's marmoset, Callimico goeldii, which is closely related.
The Gadidae are a family of marine fish, included in the order Gadiformes, known as the cods, codfishes, or true cods. It contains several commercially important fishes, including the cod, haddock, whiting, and pollock.What is the family where milkfish belong?
milkfish, also called bandeng, or bangos, (Chanos chanos), silvery marine food fish that is the only living member of the family Chanidae (order Gonorhynchiformes). Fossils of this family date from as far back as the Cretaceous Period (145.5 million to 65.5 million years ago).Which family do dolphins belong to?
All dolphins belong to a small group of animals called Cetacea. Scientists think the marine animals in this group lived on land before they began life in the ocean. Whales are Cetacea, too. In...What family do the blue whale belong to?
Blue whales belong to the Mammalian Order Cetacea, in the suborder Mysticeti. All baleen whales belong to the suborder Mysticeti, which is Latin for "mustached whales". The blue whale belongs to the rorqual family, Balaenopteridae.