Top best answers to the question «Is the pacific white sided dolphin a porpoise»
- Porpoises and dolphins are both members of the same scientific order, Cetacea. Cetacea includes all whales, which are relatives of dolphins and porpoises. The Pacific White-sided Dolphins is easily recognized as dark above, white below, and possessing a broad-based dorsal fin that is strong re-curved with much white in the “web” and trailing edge.
Those who are looking for an answer to the question «Is the pacific white sided dolphin a porpoise?» often ask the following questions:
🌴 What eats pacific white-sided dolphin?
Transient killer whales and sharks both eat Pacific White-sided Dolphins.
- How big is a pacific white sided dolphin?
- How does a pacific white sided dolphin eat?
- How does a pacific white sided dolphin work?
🌴 What do pacific white-sided dolphin eat?
When surfacing for air, the dolphins often make big leaps, diving back into the water. Somersaults and belly flops are among other movements these animals make. Feeding in groups, each Pacific-white sided dolphin consumes up to 9 kilograms (20 lbs ) of food per day.
- Is pacific white-sided dolphin an endangered animal?
- What color is a pacific white-sided dolphin?
- Where can you see pacific white-sided dolphin?
🌴 What is a pacific white-sided dolphin?
- The Pacific white-sided dolphin ( Lagenorhynchus obliquidens ), also known as the hookfin porpoise, is a very active dolphin found in the cool to temperate waters of the North Pacific Ocean. The Pacific white-sided dolphin was named by Smithsonian mammalogist Theodore Nicholas Gill in 1865.
- Where does the pacific white sided dolphin live?
- Why is the pacific white sided dolphin important?
- What kind of dolphin is the pacific white sided dolphin?
4 other answers
Cetacea includes all whales, which are relatives of dolphins and porpoises. The Pacific White-sided Dolphins is easily recognized as dark above, white below, and possessing a broad-based dorsal fin that is strong re-curved with much white in the “web” and trailing edge.
Baird, R.W. 1998. An interaction between Pacific white-sided dolphins and a neonatal harbor porpoise. Mammalia 62(1): 134-139 Heise, K.A. 1997. Diet and feeding behaviour of Pacific white-sided dolphins (Lagenorhynchus obliquidens) as revealed through the collection of prey fragments and stomach content analyses. Report of the International Whaling Commission 47:807-815
Genus: Lagenorhynchus. Species: L. obliquidens Gill, 1865. Like its Atlantic counterpart, the Pacific white-sided dolphin is marked by soft, subtle color patterns. At sea it often leaps from the water, cavorting, gamboling, and seeming to do nearly anything to make a splash. These are avid bow wave riders.
ID photo of the dorsal fin of a mature male Pacific White-Sided Dolphin by Alexandra Morton. Her research into Pacific White-Sides continues with Dr. Erin Ashe. In Dall’s Porpoises, the mature males’ dorsal fins also look different than that of the females and juvenile males. The angle is different as you can see from the images below.
We've handpicked 20 related questions for you, similar to «Is the pacific white sided dolphin a porpoise?» so you can surely find the answer!Can a pacific white sided dolphin be a female?
- Pacific White-Sided Dolphins with very young calves whereby it can be concluded the adults at their side are females. ©Jackie Hildering. Presence of a calf beside the mother. BUT this can be difficult to determine unless the calf is really young i.e. it just could be a smaller, unrelated individual travelling with a larger one;
Pacific white-sided dolphins are common in temperate seas. They are most abundant in deeper waters in the open ocean and can dive as deep as 1000 m. Pacific white-sided dolphins exploit a large habitat including open ocean and near-shore waters.Can pacific white-sided dolphin live in sea water?
Life Span: Pacific White Sided Dolphins can live in excess of 40 years. Both sharks and killer whales are natural predators of the Pacific White Sided Dolphin. Social Structure: Pacific White Sided Dolphins socialize with other cetaceans. Pods with 90 are not uncommon, and on occasion they form super pods of more than 300 dolphins. Pacific ...How fast does a pacific white sided dolphin swim?
This is caused by their frequent, almost unceasing show of acrobatics. These dolphins swim fast and regularly leave the water in pairs and trios. The Pacific whitesided dolphin is the only dolphin of the eastern Pacific known to turn complete somersaults under natural conditions.How high can a pacific white sided dolphin jump?
Identification. Different species of dolphins have varied jumping abilities, with the Pacific white-sided dolphin probably getting the grand prize for height. At the John G. Shedd Aquarium in Chicago, these dolphins are trained to jump 30 feet above the water. The widely-recognized bottlenose dolphins put on good shows too.In which ocean is pacific white-sided dolphin found?
Pacific white sided dolphin showing their playful side in the Pacific Ocean near Canada. The Pacific white-sided dolphin is a dolphin found in the Northern Pacific. The Pacific white-sided dolphin has a gray back and a creamy white belly and neck.Is the pacific white-sided dolphin a pelagic species?
- In Canada, Pacific white-sided dolphins were primarily considered a pelagic species, however since the mid-1980s their distribution has shifted and they are increasingly common in coastal waters.
- Pacific white-sided dolphins are protected under the Marine Mammal Protection Act. They are not considered endangered or threatened under the Endangered Species Act. NOAA Fisheries and our partners work to conserve and protect this species in many ways.
they can only have about 2 babies at a time
- Pacific white-sided dolphins in the United States are not endangered or threatened, but they are protected under the Marine Mammal Protection Act. A primary threat to Pacific white-sided dolphins is entanglement in fishing gear, such as gillnets and trawls.
Habitat and Distribution
Pacific white-sided dolphins (scientific name: Lagenorhynchus obliquidens) are found in the Pacific Ocean. They prefer deep offshore waters with temperatures ranging from 43 to 62°F (6 to 17°C), but generally during the winter months Pacific white-sided dolphins migrate to inshore waters.
- Pacific White Sided Dolphin. The pacific white sided dolphin is a small to medium sized dolphin that can be found living in the North Pacific Ocean. This dolphin gets its name from its dark gray upper body which is flanked by its white sides and underbody. The pacific white sided dolphin is considered closely related to...
As well as these significant dangers, Pacific white-sided dolphins also face threats in the form of prey depletion, marine debris and the ongoing impacts of climate change. Pacific white-sided dolphins need your helpWhat is the range of the pacific white sided dolphin?
- In the eastern part of their range, Pacific white-sided dolphins are found from 20º N to 61ºN. Throughout their range they are found in open-ocean and coastal waters.
- The average gestation period for the pacific white sided dolphin is 11 – 12 months. After birth the baby dolphin is nursed with milk until it is able to consume solid foods and hunt on its own.
- The Dusky dolphin is a somewhat small species that bears a great resemblance to the Pacific white-sided dolphin (Lagenorhynchus obliquidens). Even so, scientists confirmed that they are different species from each other, and it is possible to differentiate them by carefully observing the external appearance of each species. Order: Cetacea
Pacific white-sided dolphin at-sea density off California. Short Name: cdas_pacwhitedolphin.shp. Status: Completed. Publication Date: 2006-01. Abstract: The National Marine Sanctuary Program (NMSP) updates and revises the management plans for each of its 13 sanctuaries.How do pacific white-sided dolphins communicate?
- Pacific white-sided dolphins also produce whistle vocalizations, similar to other dolphins, in order to communicate with one another. They communicate visually, acoustically, and through touch. According to Henderson (2010) Pacific white-sided dolphin vocalizations differ across behavioral states.
Pacific white-sided dolphins are intelligent, playful, and very social animals. They live in large groups and often approach boats. They are interesting animals to observe in the wild.What aquariums have pacific white-sided dolphins?
This is another Pacific white-sided dolphin at the Vancouver Aquarium. According to the photographer, it's one of the females. The scientific name of the Pacific white-sided dolphin is Lagenorhynchus obliquidens. Like other dolphins, porpoises, and whales, it belongs to the order Cetacea.